Our goal is to not only help your mouth get onto a healthier track, but to teach you how to keep your mouth, teeth and ultimately your body as healthy as possible.
The Mouth is the Gateway to The Body
There a link between your mouth and the rest of your body. If there is inflammation and infection in your mouth is is strong indication that there is infection and inflammation elsewhere in your body. We do our best to educate and help our patients have the healthiest oral environment possible to help the rest of their body stay healthy too.
Bacteria that builds up on teeth make gums prone to infection. The immune system moves in to attack the infection and the gums become inflamed. The inflammation continues unless the infection is brought under control. If the bacteria is not brought under control, the toxins they release and the inflammation can spread to the rest of the body.
Oral Health has a strong connection to diabetes. Inflammation that starts in the mouth seems to weaken the body’s ability to control blood sugar.
Our patients who have just had major surgery or joint replacements need to pre-med with antibiotics prior to any dental appointment. This helps combat the bacteria that is released during dental treatment. The bacteria travels through the body in the bloodstream and can attack the new joint or surgical site where the body is already fighting to heal. We encourage all our patients with or with out periodontal disease to complete their dental treatment PRIOR to planned surgery so that they do not enter surgery with destructive bacteria teeming in their body.
Are Teeth Important?
- People with healthy teeth live longer.
- They chew food better and are better nourished by it.
- They do not have infections which circulate through the body.
- They maintain the relationship of your upper and lower jaw bone
- They enhance our smiles!!
- They make eating much more fun!
What Causes Tooth Loss
- Bacterial infection that dissolves teeth
- Can form under leaking fillings & crowns (Worn, aging dentistry)
- Contagious, especially to children
- Grinding or Squeezing of teeth
- Most common cause of headaches
- Causes teeth to wear away or break
- Makes teeth sensitive to cold
- Causes jaw joint complications (TMJ)
- Often feel like earaches
- Has high correlation with Sleep Breathing Disorders
Silver & Mercury Fillings
- They leak allowing bacteria to get in the tooth creating
- The silver filling acts like a wedge as it ages which cause teeth to fracture and by splitting
- When missing teeth are not replaced, the teeth above or below it move up or down.
- Teeth are needed to support the bone. When spaces are left the bone may collapse.
- The bite becomes cockeyed and creates possible problems with chewing. Basically, when you chew on the remaining teeth, abnormal wear occurs.