Snoring is not innocent noise
Snoring is indicative of a restricted airway, vibrates carotid arteries dislodging plaques and can lead to poor health and early death. It causes body inflammation, other health issues. Dr. Duke is happy to discuss these issues with you.
View our website for sleep apnea services in Long Beach, Bellflower and Lakewood.
A common disorder in which you have one or more pauses in breathing or shallow breaths while you sleep.
- Breathing pauses can last from a few seconds to minutes.
- They may occur 5-30-100 times an hour. Airflow typically begins again with a loud snore or the person waking up
with loud choking sounds as the throat tissues rattle against each other.
- Sleep apnea usually is a chronic condition that disrupts your sleep.
- Sleep apnea often goes undiagnosed. Doctors usually can’t detect the condition during routine office visits. Also, no blood test can help diagnose the condition.
- Most people who have sleep apnea don’t know they have it because it only occurs during sleep. A family member or bed partner might be the first to notice signs of sleep apnea.
We use a small device to conduct an in-home sleep test. We have a great local sleep clinic to refer patients to when and over night or CPAP study is needed.
Sleep Appliance Therapy
Dr. Duke offers a variety of Sleep Apnea devices. All are designed to keep the lower jaw from falling backwards and blocking the airway.
- Tongue Thrust, Incorrect Swallowing
- Mouth breathing
- Thumb and Finger sucking habits
The TAP and Herbst are small and comfortable sleep apnea therapy appliances. They are wonderful alternative to the CPAP machine for mild to moderate apnea, and they work well in conjunction with the CPAP machine for those with severe apnea. They work by holding the lower jaw forward to keep the airway open (see the diagram below)